Friday, November 9, 2012

First Snow

First snow of the year, more than a dusting, less than a storm that started last night, continuing this morning. Pepper went for his first walk in the snow up here, strolling down the driveway to the old house to pick up the newspaper and feed Pete, the black cat who now lives in the old house, rather than in the old garage. Pepper seemed to enjoy himself, rooting around in the snow with his nose, pausing to watch a small covey of quail rise up from the upper meadow and at deer standing under apple trees hoping for a late autumn buffet. There was a light breeze from the east, and the scent of wood smoke in the air.

Pete was happy to stay indoors, but I worry about his becoming bored. So, while he was eating breakfast, I made him a large silver ball out of aluminum foil - not so large as to intimidate him, not so small that it would get lost under the range. Some day I'd like to bring him up to the new house, but both of our older cats and Pepper really don't like him.






This is just the first snow, and nothing much to be concerned about. I've already mounted dedicated snow tires on my car and Karen's truck, and today I brought up Yak Trax so I don't fall on my butt when snow turns to ice. Later today, I'll bring up the snowshoes. Some day soon, I'll be using them on our walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment